Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau
Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau appeared on video for the first
time in more than a year on Thursday, rejecting rumours about his death
but appearing to signal his time in charge of the Nigerian jihadist
group may be coming to an end.
In a message that contained none of the defiant bluster, taunts and
denunciation of political leaders of previous videos and will likely be
interpreted as an admission of defeat, the dejected-looking Shekau
declared in the Hausa language: “For me the end has come”.
“This is a message of greeting and joy for you to see my face,” said Shekau, who in March 2015 pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group in an audio message.
“This is my desire: that whoever sees this will hear nothing
but greetings between me and you. Only Allah knows the rest, as you
believed (and) as you submitted. For me the end has come.
“This is only the message I want to send to you for you to understand that this is certainly I. This is why I did this.
“May Allah protect us so that no hypocrite stands between us.
May Allah protect us from the devil so that he doesn’t achieve his evil
among us.
“May Allah protect us and may we stand firm on the path of Allah. I thank my creator.”
A military source in the Borno State capital, Maiduguri, told AFP: “Watching Shekau in this video, the message is clear: the game is over.
“For this arrogant and boastful terrorist to speak in such a
meek and subdued tone shows he has been trounced beyond his imagination.
“It is farewell video. He is just telling his fighters they
should forget their illusionary Islamic state and lay down their arms.
“He knows that with the current advance of the Nigerian military our troops will soon reach him”.
Unlike messages from the Islamists at the end of 2014 and start of
2015, which were slickly edited and closely resembled those of the
Islamic State group, the new video was poorly shot.
It was also posted on YouTube rather than via Twitter accounts
linked to IS supporters and websites used by fellow jihadists, which had
become Boko Haram’s preferred medium of communication.
The bearded Shekau, who looked thin, spoke to his followers in
front of a lime green background, with the Boko Haram black flag
superimposed in crude graphics.
He also makes no mention of the Islamic State or Islamic State in
West Africa province (ISWAP) and uses the group’s original name “Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad” or “People committed to the propagation of the Prophet’s teachings and jihad”.
There was no indication of when or where the video was shot and
Nigeria’s military said it was trying to determine its authenticity.
“We are aware of the video but we are subjecting it to thorough forensic investigation,” they said in a statement.
In the video, Shekau referred in the past tense to the Borno State
town of Gwoza, which Boko Haram overran in mid-2014 and declared a
caliphate, referring to it as “Darussalam” or “Home of Peace”.
The town was later retaken in a military counter-offensive that has
seen Boko Haram-controlled towns, villages and territory seized back
over the last year.
Boko Haram supply lines are said to have been squeezed, preventing
them sourcing fuel for hit-and-run attacks and conventional fighting,
although suicide bombings persist.
There have also been reports of fighters surrendering for lack of
food. Shekau himself is said to be in hiding in the Sambisa Forest area
of Borno state, currently targeted by the military.
Nigeria has claimed several times that Shekau has been killed since
the start of the deadly insurgency responsible for at least 17,000
deaths since 2009, only for him to reappear in video messages.
The military believes several lookalikes have since stood in for him.
Source: AFP
See video below:
No comments:
Post a Comment