Muhammadu Buhari and Jacob Zuma
President Buhari broke his silence on the $5.2 billion fine slammed
on the MTN Nigeria by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC),
saying the real concern of his government was the security implication
of the telecommunication company's failure to register subscribers
appropriately.
The President made the statement while speaking on Tuesday at the
Aso Rock Presidential Villa in Abuja at a joint press conference with
the visiting South African President Jacob Zuma.
"This is the first time I am making public comment on it (the MTN fine). Our concern is the security, not the fine", Buhari stated, noting that Boko Haram insurgents had so far killed over 10,000 Nigerians.
Buhari said that was why the NCC asked all the telecommunication
companies in Nigeria to register their customers, stressing that it was
unfortunate that the MTN was "very slow" in that regard.
Buhari also said it was unfortunate that the MTN went to court
rather than negotiate with the security agencies and the NCC on the
matter.
The president noted that the MTN had withdrawn the case and
returned to the negotiation table for discussion on whether the fine
would be reduced or paid gradually.
No comments:
Post a Comment