Mrs. Roselyn Adewunmi
57-year-old Mrs. Roselyn Adewunmi has cried out for help eight
months after she was mistakenly shot and left to die by Special
Anti-Robbery Squad in Lagos. The woman who is in Ward B1 of the Lagos
University Teaching Hospital has been hospitalized for eight months now.
She was once hale and hearty and worked as a cleaner at the National Theatre, Iganmu, Lagos before the incident.
According to Punch, in the last 10 months, Adewunmi has been
confined to her bed, not able to walk. She cannot move on her bed
without support while she cannot go to the toilet by herself. She has
had to use disposable briefs to ease herself, which are costing her
heavily financially.
The story of Adewunmi's trial began in the evening of May 1, 2015,
when she decided to sit in front of her tiny plank house at Badia East
Oke-Eri community at Ijora, Apapa to take fresh air with one of her
daughters around 8.45pm.
Operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad who were after
hoodlums had shot sporadically killing and in the process, Adewunmi was
hit by stray bullet.
Also, a resident of the area identified as Nwane was said to have been shot dead in the raid.
“I did not even know about any shooting. I did not hear any
sound initially; maybe because our area is generally noisy. What I heard
was my daughter screaming and pointing at me. She was screaming ‘blood,
blood!’” Adewunmi said on her hospital bed. The woman had been shot in the lower abdomen and the thigh.
It was Adewunmi's daughter who raised alarm after seeing her mother
bleeding. Residents who ran out to find out what had happened,
including one of her sons, sighted one of the SARS operatives,
identified as Mohammed Abubakar, who reportedly shot her nearby and
approached the man.
“We approached the policeman and he said that he fired the shot
by mistake. His colleagues were there too. They brought a patrol van
and said they were after a robber.
My mother was bleeding on the ground. They still did not make any attempt to help her,” Adewunmi’s son, Seun, said.
When the woman managed to crawl towards the policeman who shot her and begged him to take her to the hospital, they refused.
She said, “My son first went to meet them. But they pushed him
back. The policemen said I should not worry that I would be alright.
They said the bullet would come out.
“I was pleading with them. I said, ‘please, please don’t leave me like this. Don’t let me die.’
But he pulled away from me. Then one of the colleagues of the one that
shot the bullet that hit me spoke to him in Hausa. Then they jumped
inside their vans and left.”
Adewunmi was left in a pool of her own blood. Disappointed and
angry but helpless, Seun carried his mother on his back as he rushed her
from one hospital to another as she continued to bleed. They could not
get a vehicle to take her.
However, the divisional police officer of the area had to come to
the aid the woman and helped residents of the area to take her to the
hospital.
“Three hospitals rejected me that day until I was finally brought to LUTH where my life was saved,” she said.
It was gathered that out of pity, residents of her community
contributed money for her initial treatment at the hospital. Since,
then, she has been left to wallow in self pity.
However, Adewunmi revealed that soon after she got to the hospital,
some men, who said they were from SARS, including Mohammed, the man who
shot her, visited her in the hospital and handed her N30,000 for her
treatment.
Adewunmi’s son said Mohammed later met him and gave him another
N40,000 for the treatment. But these have been like a drop in an ocean
of the huge medical bills mounting against her.
“When the SARS men came, they told me they contributed the
money among themselves to help with the medical treatment. They also
said that they would come back later with beverages so that I won’t have
to suffer. I did not know they only came to check if I would survive or
not. They never came back,” Adewunmi said.
Doctors said the initial treatment was to save her life and that
she would require additional reconstructive surgeries in her abdomen.
The woman who sobbed while narrating her ordeal said: “Life has
been hard for me. I don’t want to die like this. My situation is not
getting better because I don’t have money to spend on treatment again.
This bed has been my home now for eight months.
“I used to have a shop where I sold things.
She also lamented that last year she was admitted to the hospital,
her shop burnt down with all the goods when there was a fire outbreak in
our community.
“Even my family members have deserted me. I just don’t know
where to run to now but to call upon the police authorities, whose men
did this to me to help me.
Please, help me call on the police authorities, I don’t want to
die like this. They need to see what their bullets have done to me.”
The helpless woman is asking for help as her children have said
they they are preparing a petition to the Lagos State Commissioner of
Police, Mr. Fatai Owoseni, on their mother’s plight.
The Esther Child Rights Foundation, which has decided to take up
the woman’s case even though it is not a child issue, has called on the
police authorities in the state to take a step on the woman’s case.
Director of ECRF, Mrs. Esther Ogwu, said, “We keep hearing of cases of people becoming victims of police accidental discharge everyday and it is really worrisome.
“We are using this opportunity to call on the commissioner of
police in Lagos to fish out the policemen whose act has made this
woman’s life a living hell.
“The way she is living is terrible. Suffering over the last 10
months is not a thing to wish on anybody. We are going to notify the
Office of the Public Defender and the Committee for the Defence of Human
Rights about her case. We are sure justice would be done on the issue.”
No comments:
Post a Comment