14 Apr 2016

Drought-hit Malawi declares national disaster

Malawian President Peter Mutharika has declared a state of national disaster due to food shortages caused by a severe drought in the southern part of the country, AFP news agency
reports.
The World Food Programme said it was currently assisting nearly three million people in Malawi, with about 23 of 28 districts badly affected.
A Malawian man carries food aid distributed by the United Nations World Food Progamme (WFP) in Mzumazi village near the capital Lilongwe, February 3, 2016
Malawi has a population of about 16 million
"The projected drop in maize harvest is estimated at 12% from last year's output," Mr Mutharika said in a statement.
"More people will be food insecure and will require humanitarian relief assistance for the whole of the 2016/17 consumption year," he added, AFP reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment