
A 7.8-magnitude earthquake struck the coast of Ecuador on Saturday
(April 16), leaving 272 people dead. An additional 2,500 civilians
suffered injuries.
CNN reports the devastating earthquake hit the coastal Manabi Province
hardest, where 200 people were killed. The cities of Manta, Portoviejo
and Pedernales saw the most severe damage, CNN reports.

The region was also rocked with 163 aftershocks.
In the days since, rescue crews have been digging through the rubble in search of survivors.
President Rafael Correa said, "The immediate priority is to rescue
people in the rubble. Everything can be rebuilt, but lives cannot be
recovered, and that's what hurts the most."
Temporary hospitals and shelters have been erected in Pedernales and
Portoviejo to tend to the needs of the injured and homeless. Ecuador’s
armed forces and police have been deployed to the affected areas to
maintain peace and security.
Pope Francis called for prayer for those affected by the Ecuador
earthquake, as well as those affected by two previous earthquakes that
struck Japan last week. During his Sunday prayer Francis said, "Last
night a violent earthquake hit Ecuador, causing numerous victims and
great damages. Let's pray for those populations, and for those of Japan,
where as well there has been some earthquakes in the last days."
No comments:
Post a Comment