Femi Fani-Kayode
Femi Fani-Kayode's spokesman, Jude Ndukwe, has confirmed to a Punch
correspondent that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)
has seized the passport belonging to the ex-director of PDP presidential
campaign.
Ndukwe who disclosed that Fani-Kayode have submitted his passport
to the anti-graft agency as part of his bail conditions, said the EFCC
had refused to release the ex-minister despite meeting up with the bail
conditions.
"The EFCC gave him two bail conditions. The first condition was
that he would hand over his passport while the second condition was for
him to provide two sureties. The two sureties must be at least
directors in the civil service and must have properties in AMAC (Abuja
Municipal Area Council). Five days after meeting the conditions, the
EFCC has refused to release him," he said.
Femi Fani-Kayode who served as the Director of Publicity of the
Goodluck Jonathan during the 2015 presidential election, was arrested on
Monday last week for receiving N840million.
The money, which Fani-Kayode admitted to receiving, was said to
have emanated from the account of the Central Bank of Nigeria. The
ex-minister had, however, insisted that he did not know that the money
emanated from the CBN because he was assured by the leadership of the
Peoples Democratic Party that the money was sourced from private
individuals.
Ndukwe in a statement released on Wednesday, condemned the
continued detention of Fani-Kayode, describing it as a tactics to
keeping key and vocal members of the opposition out of circulation
without due regard to Nigerian laws.
"This tactics of keeping key and vocal members of the
opposition out of circulation without due regard to our laws and or
harass them with charges that cannot stand the test of judicial
requirements has got to stop. The sweet smelling savour of democracy
will be polluted when the opposition is stifled.
"The continued detention of Chief Femi Fani-Kayode in EFCC
custody for this long, despite meeting his bail conditions goes a long
way to show that this fight is not about corruption after all, but all
about silencing the opposition.
"We condemn in very strong terms these acts of intimidation and
harassment and request that he (Chief Fani-Kayode) be released
forthwith, even as we call on all well-meaning Nigerians to know who to
hold responsible should anything untoward happen to Chief Femi
Fani-Kayode!
"This act of executive rascality, at a time when Nigerians are
groaning more than ever before over the economic hardship inflicted on
them by this administration, is needless. It will achieve nothing but
will only lead to a puerile end," the statement read.
No comments:
Post a Comment