Senate President, Bukola Saraki and Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu
The Federal Government has been accused of witch-hunting and using
all means available to cripple the legislature with the latest suit
against its two principal officers namely - Senate President, Bukola
Saraki, and his Deputy, Senator Ike Ekweremadu.
The group also said the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government is all out to embarrass, cripple and sabotage any opposition.
A pro-democracy group, Centre for the Advancement of Literacy and
Leadership (CALL), in a statement signed by the Executive Director of
the Centre, Mazi Bismarck Oji, and made available to newsmen in Enugu,
also described the recently reported letter by the police inviting
Ekweremadu and some leaders of the last Senate for interrogation over alleged forgery of Senate Standing Orders 2011 as mischievous.
According to The Nation, the group recalled that the Assistant
Force Public Relations Officer (AFPRO), Mr. Abayomi Shogunle, had told
newsmen at the Force Headquarters on July 6, 2015, that although the
police team met with the ex-Clerk to the National Assembly, Mr. Salisu
Maikasuwa, they neither invited nor interrogated Senator Ekweremadu.
It therefore noted that since the police had earlier denied
inviting or interrogating Ekweremadu, while the Federal Government also
backed its charges against the duo with an affidavit of completion of
investigation deposed to at the Federal High Court Registry, Abuja,
dated 10th June 2016, it was “a clear case of witch-hunt, mischief, and a legal contradiction”
to want to invite Ekweremadu and other persons for interrogation when
the Federal Government had already filed charges based on the police
report.
No comments:
Post a Comment