Chief Judge of Abia State,Theresa Uzokwe (left) with Ex-governor, Theodore Orji
Abia State Chief Judge, Theresa Uzokwe, who was ordered by the
Federal High Court sitting in Abuja last week to swear-in Uche Ogah as
the new governor of the state after a certificate of return had been
issued to him by INEC, has broken her silence, dismissing reports that
she went underground to avoid swearing in Ogah as governor.
The chief judge of the state, said “mischievous politicians” were
behind the reports, saying there is evidence to prove that she did not
abscond from duty, and however did not give any explanation for not
carrying out the high court order.
In a statement issued on her behalf by Vicky Analaba, acting chief
registrar of Abia state, Uzokwe said she decided to release a statement
to “set records straight”.
“The attention of the chief judge of Abia state, Justice has
been drawn to various spurious and mischievous reports alleging that the
Honorable Chief Judge had absconded from her duty post on Thursday 30th
June 2016, to avoid swearing in Uche Ogah as Governor of Abia State.
“Contrary to the allegations of cowardice by mischievous
politicians, the chief judge, was in her office throughout work time on
Thursday 30 June 2016 from 8:30am till 4:30pm.
“For the avoidance of doubt, on Thursday 30th June 2016, the
chief judge was in her court room performing her lawful duties,
including the delivery of four rulings on that date.
“The particulars of the ruling in question are: HU/35CM/2015
FRANCIS AKOR vs THE STATE; HU/ICM/2016-JOHNSON ASIEGBU vs. COMMISSIONER
OF POLICE, HU/42CM/2016-ONYEKACHI SAMUEL vs. COMMISSIONER OF POLICE;
HU/34CM/2016-LUCKY SAMPSON vs. THE STATE.
“These facts are verifiable and in the records of the court.
The various lawyers who appeared in the respective suits listed above
are also living witnesses.
“This press release has become necessary in order to avoid further mischief and to set the records straight.”
No comments:
Post a Comment