Nigerian soldiers
The crisis rocking the Plateau State may have taken an upward surge
as three more people have died after soldiers opened fire on rampaging
youth in Bokkos Local Government Area of the State. One person had
earlier been confirmed dead.
According to Premium Times, witnesses have revealed that three of
seven people who were injured in the attack, died, bringing the death
toll to four.
Soldiers serving with the Special Task Force on Jos crisis on
Thursday opened fire on youth who blocked a road in Bokkos in protest of
the killing of a monarch and a night attack there Wednesday.
Residents said there is tension in Bokkos town, as many have fled
the area to seek refuge elsewhere. The weekly Thursday market in the
town could not open due to the crisis.
The military special task force imposed a 24-hour curfew on the town.
A spokesperson for the STF, Ikedichi Iweha, denied that soldiers
killed the youth. He however confirmed the death of three of the youth
who barricaded the routes.
Mr. Iweha, a captain in the Nigeria Army, told Premium Times via
phone that the youth were about to lynch some persons they suspected of
being responsible for the killings, when soldiers intervened.
He said the youth shot at soldiers, injuring some of them.
“Our troops didn’t open fire aiming at anyone, they shot in the
air to arrest an ugly situation. They youth were about to lynch some
persons, our troops intervened; and the rampaging youth opened fire on
our men and injured personnel. Three of the protesting youth were found
dead, but not as a result of gun shot from our troop,” he said.
Mr. Iweha however said the situation had been brought under control, as officers have taken over Bokkos town.
Plateau State had enjoyed relative calm in recent months after
years of ethno-religious conflict that claimed the lives of thousands.
The latest spell of violence began on Monday afternoon when unknown
gunmen ambushed and killed Lazarus Agaei, a first class traditional
ruler and the Saf Ron Kurele, alongside his wife, son and a police
guard.
On Wednesday night, unknown assailants reportedly destroyed homes and attacked residents of the area.
In protest, youth barricaded roads leading to the area on Thursday
morning, and blocked the convoy of the police commissioner of Plateau
State, Adekunle Oladunjoye. Mr. Oladunjoye was later allowed in.
Lawmakers, traditional and political leaders from the area gathered
Thursday morning at the late monarch’s palace to meet the Deputy
Inspector General of Police in charge of operations, Habila Joshak, and
mourn the slain chief.
Joshua Dariye, a former governor and serving senator representing
the district at the National Assembly, broke down into tears after
observing a minute silence.
Mr. Dariye pleaded with the family and locals to be calm and allow security agencies investigate the killings.
“Two wrongs cannot make a right, let’s live peacefully, our
paramount ruler is no more, no matter the amount of agitations we make,
it will not return him to life,” he said. “But we demand that the IG
sends a high-powered delegation of police expert to investigate the
incident and bring perpetrators to book.”
The police DIG, Mr. Joshak, drafted from Abuja to lead the investigation, said justice will be done.
“No matter how long it will take, we must fish out the killers of the traditional ruler,” he said. “Vengeance is of God, let all of us be law-abiding, though this is a painful death, you can see the senator in tears.”
No comments:
Post a Comment