The attacked school (Photo: Samson Folarin)
Some Hausa teenagers, numbering about 100, reportedly stormed
Lagooz Schools located on Omotoye Estate in the Orile Agege area of
Lagos State with machetes and other weapons and unleashed terror which
caused pandemonium in the school premises.
Punch Metro
reports that the hoodlums attacked the school’s principal and a
teacher, identified as Uncle John, during a free-for-all which lasted
for about two hours, and aside damaging some property of the school, the
rampaging youths allegedly made away with N1.5 million.
Operatives of the Special Anti-robbery Squad from the Elere divison
and some members of the Oodua People’s Congress (OPC), were said to
have repelled the attack as residents fled the area.
It was gathered that after SARS operatives opened fire on them, seven of the hoodlums were arrested.
An resident eye witness said trouble started when the school
finished its valedictory service party on Saturday, but the teenagers
refused to leave the school premises.
“They were actually relatives of some of the school-leavers.
The valedictory service party ended around 5pm, but they refused to
leave. A teacher, Uncle John, tried to force them out. One of them
abused the teacher and ran away.
“The teacher, who was embarrassed by the abuse, held one of the
Hausa teenagers. There was a struggle between them. As the teacher hit
the man, he also fought back and held the teacher by the neck, almost
strangulating him.
“The principal, who wanted to settle the fight, was held by the
tie by one of the intruders and beaten up. The principal’s brother, who
wanted to rescue him, was given a fist blow in the eye,” the source said.
It was also learnt that the teenagers damaged about four dozen of
the chairs used for the party. Three of them were later apprehended by
the school, as those apprehended were reportedly held hostage in a
classroom, while the others wreaked havoc on the school premises.
Reports reveal that the apprehended teenagers, however, mobilised more gang members into the community on the telephone. “Those boys had their phones and they started calling their friends, who trooped into the school with cutlasses and weapons.
“Policemen at the school’s gate prevented them from gaining
entrance as they shot into the air. The hoodlums, however, grew in
number, which overwhelmed the security agents.
“Despite the gunshots, the teenagers refused to go. In fact,
while some of them knelt, others prostrated and were begging the police
to shoot at them. They were saying, ‘Please shoot us; we want to die’.”
Some OPC members later came out with weapons and engaged the
hoodlums, as the proprietor of the school was reported to have called
for reinforcement from SARS operatives, who stormed the community.
“The SARS operatives started shooting into the air. They chased
the teenagers and arrested seven of them. They also seized their
motorcycles and recovered some of the weapons they brought,” another source said.
The Proprietor of the school, Chief Yomi Otubela, said it was only a minor disagreement among pupils of the school.
He said, “The issue was about some teenagers who had issues
with themselves on where to park their cars. The police that were on
duty at the school gate actually mediated. No school property was
damaged; nothing happened during our valedictory service.”
The Police Public Relations Officer, SP Dolapo Badmos, confirmed the attack, adding that seven suspects had been arrested. “Some hoodlums entered the school’s premises and destroyed some property. They allegedly made away with N1.5m.
“Our operatives from the Elere divison were contacted and they
swiftly moved in and arrested seven of the suspects. The suspects have
been handed over to the Area G headquarters for further investigation,” she said.
No comments:
Post a Comment