Ten more states signed on to sue the Obama administration over its
transgender directive that forces schools to allow students to use the
restrooms and locker rooms that correspond to their gender identity, not
their biological sex.
“It’s putting school districts in a terrible position,” said Doug
Peterson, Nebraska’s attorney general, who took the lead on the new
round of lawsuits. “It’s trying to push a certain agenda through our
school systems, and we need to simply stand up and say this does not
make sense.”
Nebraska, along with nine other states, filed an injunction in federal
court in Nebraska on July 8 against the joint mandate from the
Department of Education and the Department of Justice. The complaint
says the new instruction came without an observance of procedure
required by law and disregards efforts from school districts to develop
individualized plans that best serve their students.
On May 13, the Obama administration sent a directive to every school
district in the country saying Title IX, a federal law to prohibit
discrimination on the basis of sex for federally funded education
programs, included gender identity and schools needed to update their
policies to reflect the new interpretation.
That means once a parent or legal guardian says a student identifies
with a different gender, schools have to treat them as such.
Peterson said the directive defies common sense and standard due process for such a sweeping change.
“When a federal agency takes such unilateral action in an attempt to
change the meaning of established law, it leaves state and local
authorities with no other option than to pursue legal clarity in federal
court in order to enforce the rule of law,” he said.
Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts, a Republican, applauded the lawsuit.
“The guidance promulgated by the president’s agencies represents his
political views and does not carry the weight of law,” the governor said
in a statement Friday.
Arkansas, Kansas, Michigan, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, South
Carolina, South Dakota, and Wyoming joined Nebraska in the lawsuit. The
new court action follows a Texas-led coalition of 13 states that filed
suit against the federal government over the same directive in May.
President Barack Obama explained to BuzzFeed News he made the change
because transgender students are a vulnerable minority subject to harsh
bullying. Denying them use of facilities matching their gender identity
is discriminatory, he said.
“We are talking about kids, and anybody who’s been in school, been in
high school, who’s been a parent, I think should realize that kids who
are sometimes in the minority—kids who have a different orientation or
are transgender—are subject to a lot of bullying. Potentially they are
vulnerable,” Obama said.
But with the new action, a total of 23 states disagree with Obama’s
interpretation and claim the school directive violates the Constitution.
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, who headed the first lawsuit, said
at the Heritage Foundation last week he’s confident courts will agree
the directive is an obvious executive overreach.
“How you feel about your gender does not change your sex at birth,”
Paxton said. “And how the president feels about his authority to write
laws cannot change the fact that the Constitution grants that power to
Congress.”
Courtesy: WORLD Newes Service
No comments:
Post a Comment