Scene of the incident
The corpses of four persons including a man believed to be the son
of a World Bank contractor, who drowned in Egbe River in Egbe community
of Gbonyin Local Government Area of Ekiti State, have been recovered few
hours ago.
According to reports, the four were said to be workers on a World
Bank assessment mission to the river and had commenced work on Tuesday
night when the boat in which seven of them and their equipment were
allegedly sailing capsized.
The report says four of the occupants of the boat, who didn’t wear
life-jackets died while three others survived, as the bodies of the dead
were fished out by local fishermen, who were mobilised by the chairman
of Gbonyin Local Government Area, Mrs. Folasade Akinrinmola.
Speaking to Nigerian Tribune on the telephone, Mrs. Akinrinmola,
said she was notified of the incident by the traditional ruler of the
community.
“We immediately mobilised a rescue team and an ambulance and
those wearing life jackets were rescued. The rescued people were the
ones who told us that others were in the water. Their bodies were later
retrieved by the local fisherment,” she said.
Commenting on their mission to the river, the council boss said; “We
believe that they were there based on some of the proposals we had
written on the dam and how it could be put to use and we believe that
the World Bank had started work on the river based on the calls.”
She described the incident as “unfortunate” saying that their bodies had been deposited at the mortuary in Ode-Ekiti, headquarters of the council area.
No comments:
Post a Comment