Militants
In an official statement released last week, Ijaw Militant group,
the Adaka Boro Avengers (ABA), threatened to declare the Independent
Republic of Niger Delta today, August 1, and also gave the federal
government an ultimatum to withdraw its personnel and establishments
from the region before today.
While ordering people from other regions to vacate its territory,
the group in the statement by its spokesman, General Edmos Ayayeibo,
also asked the federal government to move out all military personnel and
all government agencies out of the Niger Delta.
On the demand that people from other regions should move out immediately, ABA said: “If they refuse to heed to our warning, we will use so many as example in the Niger Delta region on the due date.”
However in a statement issued on Sunday by the group’s
spokesperson, General Edmos Ayayeibo, the militant group, said that it
has cancelled earlier plan to declare the Niger Delta territory a
Republic today (Monday) and threatened to continue its mission to
destabilize Nigeria’s economy.
According to them, “will not stop until the Nigerian government is ready to sit on a round-table to dialogue and to restructure Nigeria.”
They said, “We received calls from prominent leaders like Dr.
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, Mrs. Ankio Briggs, Chief. E. K. Clark and
especially King Alfred Diete Spiff calling on the freedom fighters to
abort their mission to declare Niger Delta Republic.”
The group said plans to declare the region independent was not for
selfish reasons, adding that it was cancelled following appeals from
elders and people of the area.
Leader of the group, General Goddey, was quoted in the statement as saying that the anger of the group bordered on how “the Nigerian government has enslaved…the people of Niger Delta region.”
“We adhere to the voice of our people, because our struggle is
for the Niger Delta people and not for selfish reason. But this is not
the end. More is yet to come.
“Our mission to cripple the economy of the Nigerian nation will
not stop until the Nigerian government is ready to sit on a roundtable
to dialogue and to restructure the Nigeria.
“Unless that, we will not stop until Nigeria becomes a zero
economy. We are also saying this for the benefit of President Muhammadu
Buhari and Nigerian government to stop wasting their time with those
greedy fellows that call themselves MEND because nothing good will come
out of them rather than sabotage.
“Those old fools cannot stop us and they know it very well. We know what they are after is all about stipends.
“Everything they are saying, not even one will be accomplished.
We will never agree with anything they say and henceforth MEND should
watch their back because we have tolerated them for a very long time.
“Enough is enough, since they want to set confusion in the Niger Delta we will start from them.”
No comments:
Post a Comment