According to a statement signed by Colonel Sani K. Usman, the
Acting Director, Army Public Relations, the Nigerian Army has yesterday,
August 14, declared the trio of Ahmed Salkida (Ambassador), Ahmed U.
Bolori and Aisha Wakil wanted.
The trio have been declared wanted because they are in possession
of information on the conditions and the exact location of schoolgirls
kidnapped by Boko Haram from Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno
State, in 2014. The Army said its action is based on relevant laws.
The army seemed to be sending mixed signals – in one breath
declaring them wanted and in another seeking their help to find the
kidnapped schoolgirls.
“They must… come forward and tell us where the group is keeping
the Chibok Girls and other abducted persons to enable us to rescue
them. We are relying on the relevant laws of the land and in particular
the Terrorism Prevention Act 2011 (as amended), where Nigerians could be
punished for failure to disclose information about terrorists or
terrorist activities.
"This becomes necessary as a result of their link with the last
two videos released by Boko Haram terrorists and other findings of our
preliminary investigations," the statement read in part.
Who is Aisha Wakil a.k.a Mama Boko Haram? and Why is she so important in the attempt to rescue the Chibok girls?
Committee comedy
In April 2013, President Goodluck Jonathan, as he was then, was
hoodwinked into setting up the Committee on Dialogue and Peaceful
Resolution of Security Challenges in the North, otherwise known as the
Boko Haram Amnesty Committee, with the belief that it would reach out to
the leaders of the sect and end the insurgency.
The stated aim of the committee was to develop a framework for the
granting of amnesty as well as work out disarmament within a 60-day time
frame.
When the committee, headed by Tanimu Turaki, then minister of
special duties, was inaugurated, it began a tour of the north-east,
visiting military formations and gathering information from the military
chiefs.
The amnesty committee after inauguration in April 2013
On a visit to Damaturu, the capital of Yobe state, in June 2013,
the members were scheduled to see other parts of the state when they
were suddenly summoned to return to Abuja “immediately” following a claim that a “major breakthrough” had been recorded.
Hassan Tukur, the principal private secretary to Jonathan, was said
to have put a deal together with the help of Wakil, a member of the
committee who claimed to be very close to Boko Haram and even nicknamed
herself “Mama Boko Haram” รข”€ a strategy that worked very well.
The committee members were told that a “top” official of
the sect, Imam Muhammadu Marwana, had been mandated by Abubakar Shekau,
the leader, to sign a deal with the government.
Several government officials were now jumping on the bandwagon in
order to have a slice of the action. The office of the secretary to the
government of the federation offered to sign the deal on behalf of the
federal government, but Jonathan insisted that the committee was fully
mandated to act for the government.
High-level hoax
Marwana, in a well-orchestrated drama, told Radio France Hausa Service: “We
are seeking forgiveness from the people over the number of people
killed in the country. I appeal to those who lost their loved ones to
our activities to forgive us and on our side we have forgiven all those
who committed atrocities against us.”
Turaki himself told the media: “We have sat down and agreed
that Jama’atu Ahlul Sunnah Lidda’awati wal Jihad, known as Boko Haram,
will lay down their arms as part of the agreement so as to end the
insurgency. Government agreed with ceasefire and will look into ways to
ensure that the troops relax their activities till the final take-off of
the ceasefire.”
Mama Boko Haram met with Goodluck Jonathan during the Amnesty inauguration in 2013
It was all a ruse. Shekau denounced those who said he sent them to
sign a ceasefire deal, and to demonstrate how serious he was, Boko Haram
immediately launched an attack on Government Secondary School, Mamudo,
Yobe state, killing 29 students and a teacher.
But the drama did not stop. Turaki said it was a faction of the
group that carried out the attack, and that Marwana led another faction
which was genuinely Boko Haram.
Marwana was back on radio, defending his “peace deal” and saying: “I want to state clearly that we have no hands in the unfortunate attack on the secondary school.”
Wheeling and dealing
The failure of the first deal had been a blessing of sort, as
members of the committee became very suspicious. They also became more
rigorous in interrogating other impostors who kept streaming to their
secretariat.
On one occasion, for instance, when Wakil, or “Mama Boko Haram”, brought a Boko Haram “representative”
to discuss with the committee, the impostor was told to get a video
from Shekau saying in clear terms that he had been mandated to negotiate
on behalf of the sect. The impostor said he could not do that. He was
promptly dismissed.
The final straw came when “Mama Boko Haram” again brought some
young men, who claimed to be bodyguards of Shekau, to negotiate with the
committee. A committee member told the impostors that the security
agencies would like to interview them to ascertain their claims. They
became jittery. One of them immediately confessed he knew nothing about
Boko Haram, that he was a labourer in Abuja who had been recruited to
pose as a member of the sect.
All of them, including “Mama Boko Haram”, were immediately
arrested and interrogated by the security agencies, but Wakil, whose
husband is a retired judge in Borno state, was released in order to save
the face of the committee.
A serving government official, who nominated her into the committee
and who was believed to be part of the scam, made a strong case for
her, saying any attempt to publicly shame her would put the entire job
done by the committee in jeopardy. Somehow, his position was bought.
Indeed, Wakil, who is always dressed in niqab from head to toe, had
been strongly believed as having direct links to Boko Haram and this
clearly made her a celebrity during the work of the committee.
Interestingly, in November 2012, she and her husband had been named by
another Boko Haram “representative” to negotiate a peace deal on their behalf.
The name of Muhammadu Buhari was even dragged into the list of “negotiators”
either to give it some credibility or to stoke the belief that he was
complicit in the insurgency. Buhari sternly rejected his nomination.
But Wakil’s fame spread, nonetheless, and she became a frontline member of the negotiating committee until the bubble burst.
Credits: TheCable News
No comments:
Post a Comment