Scene of the crash
As many Nigerians were busy celebrating the national public
holidays for Eid el Kabir, no fewer than five people reportedly lost
their lives, while 15 others were injured after two vehicles had a
head-on collision at the Ogunmakin end of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway on
Monday.
According to a report by Punch Metro,
a Mazda bus and a Mitsubishi space wagon car, were the vehicles
involved in the ghastly crash at around 4pm on Monday. The five victims
comprised the drivers of the two vehicles, and three passengers in the
bus, including a child.
Reports revealed that the commercial bus was heading for Ibadan,
Oyo State, while the car, which had two occupants, was heading towards
Lagos State. the bus driver who was at top speed, crashed into the car
while attempting to overtake at an intersection where construction works
were being done on the road.
The FRSC Commander, Ogunmakin Unit, David Ogunjana, confirmed that
the accident was caused by speeding, adding that the driver of the Mazda
bus had been warned by other motorists, but he refused to heed the
warning.
“The commercial bus was taking some Muslims to Ibadan; it was a
loaded bus. The Mitsubishi car was coming to Lagos and there were two
people in it. Because of the public holiday, the traffic was light.
“The bus driver was attempting to overtake the car at a section
of the expressway where construction is ongoing. He, however,
miscalculated and ram into it. The bus driver and that of the private
car died on the spot. Two passengers sitting beside the commercial bus
driver also died. A woman, sitting at the back of the driver, was also
killed.
“While we were clearing the wreckage, some motorists, who met
us at the scene, said they had warned the bus driver to reduce his
speed, but he refused to listen to them. They said he made abusive
gestures at them and continued speeding till he killed himself and other
people.
“The accident was avoidable because the road was free and there
was no reason for him to speed. Some of the passengers said they were
going to their hometown to celebrate the Sallah with their family
members,” he said.
The Sector Commander, FRSC, Ogun State, Adegoke Adetunji, said;
“The accident happened at about 3.45pm. A total of 20 people were
involved. Among them, five died and 15 sustained injuries. Among the
dead were three male adults, one woman and a child.
"The injured were taken to Ife-Oluwa Hospital and Ibadan Centre
Hospital and the vehicles towed away to restore traffic flow. Drivers
are advised to be patient and avoid wrongful overtaking as they drive
through the construction area.”
No comments:
Post a Comment