File photo
A suspected Boko Haram attack carried out by gunmen on bicycles in
northeast Nigeria, has left at least eight people dead outside a church
in Borno State.
This was revealed by local residents on Monday.
According to Vanguard, the attack happened shortly after morning
service on Sunday in Kwamjilari village, about 30 kilometres (19 miles)
east of the town of Chibok, in Borno state.
“Some of the worshippers remained around the church and the gunmen opened fire and eight men died,” said Luka Damina, from nearby Kautikeri village, where locals fled.
“Unknown to the residents, the gunmen had stationed some of
their comrades on the road leading out of the village and they shot
anyone who tried to flee.
“Many people ran into the bush with gunshot wounds. But so far we can only confirm eight deaths.”
The attackers set fire to homes and fields of maize that were
almost ready for harvest, according to a local chief in Kautikeri, who
also said eight people were killed.
The chief said soldiers were later deployed to Kwamjilari from
Chibok — the scene of a notorious kidnapping in 2014 when more than 200
schoolgirls were seized.
No comments:
Post a Comment