A former Nigerian deputy state governor who was in line for an ambassadorial position has revealed why she turned it down.
Pauline Tallen
Pauline Tallen, a former deputy governor of Plateau, has opened up about her her rejection of an ambassodorial portfolio.
The woman revealed that she turned down her ambassadorial
nomination in order to be fair to other parts of the state in terms of
federal appointments.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria, Mrs. Tallen, who is also a
former Minister of Science and Technology and Labour Party governorship
candidate in Plateau in 2011, made this known in Abuja on Monday.
“I hail from the same local government and tribe with Gov.
Simon Lalong. I turned down the nomination because of balancing of
appointments, I don’t think it is right for me to accept the
appointment,” she said.
“Secondly, proper consultation was not done, my governor was
not consulted because I called him when he was in United States of
America to ask but he said that he was not aware.
“For me, I was consulted and I turned down the appointment even before the announcement was made,” Mrs. Tallen said.
She also cited her husband’s poor health.
“My husband’s ill-health is another reason why I will not accept the appointment,” she said.
Mrs. Tallen, who was nominated last week by President Muhammadu
Buhari, alongside 45 others, said the president gave her another option
and also assured her that Plateau would not miss its two slots.
The former deputy governor, who appreciated the president for the
honour, said that her name was not included on the list of nominees and
was surprised when the announcement was made.
Meanwhile Gov. Simon Lalong has described Mrs. Tallen’s decline as an exhibition of political maturity.
“Plateau is always on the front-burner when it comes to
politics, that shows her maturity not just in Plateau but as a national
figure.
“Once things are not done properly, it is better for a leader
and a mother to come out and say that things are not done properly in
the interest of the state.
“When I heard the announcement I was very shocked because what happened was without proper consultation,” he told journalists in Abuja.
The governor said his administration was working towards addressing the issue of balancing appointment.
Mr. Lalong said the opposition was already saying that the appointments were lopsided.
He appreciated Mrs. Tallen for her decision, and assured the people
that their quota would be filled and he would go further to ensure that
distinguished sons and daughters of Plateau get more appointments.
No comments:
Post a Comment