A man and his wife who dared to defraud an American company are being made to pay for their unbelievably criminal act.
File photo
A man and his wife have been dragged to court by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
They were arraigned before a Lagos State High Court, Ikeja for
obtaining $102,550 from an American company under the pretext of helping
the company to win a federal government contract.
According to Premium Times, the man, Austine Ezeama, his wife,
Juliet, and a company, Mabrubeni Nigeria Limited, were on Wednesday
arraigned before Justice O. H. Oshodi on a seven-count charge bordering
on conspiracy and obtaining money by false pretence.
According to the charge sheet, the accused allegedly obtained
$30,570 from CIFERCOM LLC under the pretence that the money was for its
registration as a company in Nigeria, preparatory to the award of a $8
million contract to the company by the Federal Government of Nigeria.
Both accused persons pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The prosecution counsel, V. O. Agboje, asked for a trial date and also requested the accused be remanded in prison.
But the defence counsel, D. C. Nkemdirum, made an application for
their bail, which he said had been served the prosecution since October
10.
Justice Oshodi remanded the defendants in EFCC custody and
adjourned the matter till November 21 for hearing of the bail
application.
The American company had lodged a complaint with the EFCC after it
was tricked into paying $102,550 as processing fees for the non-existent
contract.
According to the commission, the suspects in January 2015 convinced
CIFERCOM LLC to come to Nigeria for the $8million contract to be
facilitated by ranking officials in the country.
Mr. Ezeama was said to have introduced his wife, Juliet Ezeama, as a
Federal Government agent, who served as intermediary between them.
“After a series of communication through emails, several fees
were required from the complainant to facilitate the business.
Eventually the sum of $102,550 was paid to Mabrubeni Nigeria Limited
owned by the Ezeamas”, the EFCC stated.
Sometime in May 2015, Mr. Ezeama was said to have further informed
the complainant that the new President of Nigeria wanted the project
extended to cover the whole country with a new cost of $120 Million, and
that the victim was expected to pay additional $650,000.00 before June
10, 2015.
After waiting without receiving any contract, the complainant
became apprehensive and approached the EFCC through his solicitors for
investigation into the matter.
No comments:
Post a Comment