4 military cadets have passed away in the course of an energy-tasking training exercise associated with the system.
File Photo
Controversies are currently trailing a recruitment exercise being
carried out by the Nigerian Defence Academy, NDA, over the death of four
Cadets who were recently enlisted into the institution for intensive
military training exercises.
The Cadets were said to have died after medical complications
arising from the intensive rigorous exercises which exposed their
unfitness a few weeks after their admission. The death of the four
Cadets which was said to have jolted the leadership of the institution,
resulted in the authorities, instituting a panel to investigate the
medical and physical condition of other Cadets undergoing military
training in the institution.
At the end of the panel’s sitting, the investigators who included
physical training experts, physiotherapists, psychologists and medical
doctors, discovered that a sizeable number of the cadets were suffering
from severe medical deficiency.
Further investigation by Saturday Vanguard revealed that the
situation was so bad that over 50 Cadets were discovered to be suffering
from life-threatening diseases. Tongues have started wagging as to how
this large number of medically unfit Cadets were enlisted.
However, a correspondent was told by sources close to the Academy
that about 53 Cadets having been screened and found to be medically
unfit had been listed to be expelled.
The NDA Board is expected to approve the recommendation by the
Academy. It was learnt that the authorities may have taken the stand to
have the medically sick Cadets expelled because of the fear of likely
outrage from the public if more deaths were recorded.
Observers are however miffed that a military institution like the
NDA could allow itself to be bamboozled by politicians into bending its
admission rules.
No comments:
Post a Comment