Nigerian
soldiers have caused a stir in an Adamawa town after manhandling a
young man till he died a tragic death in their hands.
Nigerian soldiers
A major communal crisis in Ganye, a town in the southern part of
Adamawa state, has been averted after a timely intervention by local
leaders.
This was following the killing of a young man by soldiers for allegedly stealing a mobile phone handset.
According to Premium Times, reports from the area revealed that a
woman, believed to be a friend of one of the soldiers manning a
checkpoint in the town, on Monday, December 5, reported to the soldiers
that a neighbor, Abdulaziz Adama, stole her Asha Nokia handset, worth
about N5000.
The soldiers were said to have subsequently whisked Mr. Adama away to their base in Ganye for interrogation.
“He insisted that he did not steal the phone but they refused to listen and went ahead to manhandled him until he died,” claimed a local youth leader, Geoffrey Babale.
According to Mr. Babale, two days after Mr. Adama’s death, his
accuser however found the missing handset lodged in the cushion of a
chair in her sitting room.
“This development led to protests and pandemonium by youth who insisted justice must take its course over the unlawful killing,” he said.
Multiple sources confirmed that the paramount ruler, the Gwangwari
Ganye, Umaru Adamu Sanda, and other notable personalities of the
chiefdom, managed to pacify the irate youth and brought the situation
under control.
Confirming the incident, spokesman of Adamawa Police Command,
Othman Abubakar, said the police had officially written the brigade
commander of the Nigerian Army 23rd Armored Brigade, Yola to hand over
soldiers involved in the incident for interrogation and prosecution.
Mr. Abubakar, a superintendent of police, however lamented that the
Army commander was yet to respond to the letter since it was delivered
last week.
When contacted on phone, the Army Public Relations Officer of the
brigade, Ahmed Ngulde, a major, said he had been on a course in Lagos
for the past three months and was not aware of the development.
However, the state Commissioner of Information and Strategy, Ahmad
Sajoh, told journalists on Sunday after an emergency security meeting
over the Madagali twin bomb blast that claimed over 30 lives that the
state government and the military authorities discussed the killing of
Mr. Adama in Ganye.
“The military assured us of handing over the accused soldiers
to the relevant authorities for necessary action after their own
internal investigations,’’ said the commissioner.
No comments:
Post a Comment