A
25-year-old Lagos-based lady who was allegedly bathed with acid by her
ex-lover in the Surulere area of the state, has demanded the prosecution
of the suspect.
The acid victim, Rosemary
A man simply identified as Paul, who allegedly bathed his ex-lover,
a 25-year-old caterer, Rosemary Nnaife, with acid is set to be
arraigned as the victim has demanded the prosecution of the suspect.
According to a report by Punch Metro, the Delta State indigene
whose face had been scarred by the acid since the incident, said that
Paul who is a resident of Lawanson in the Surulere area of Lagos State
had yet to be prosecuted.
Speaking further, the victim who explained that she had dated Paul
for four years before the relationship ended due to abuse and violence,
added that she got into another relationship, which did not go down well
with the suspect, who allegedly began sending threat messages to her
and her new boyfriend.
The threat allegedly culminated in an acid bath after she was
tricked out of her residence in the Abaranje, Ikotun area of the state.
The innocent victim revealed that she was rushed to the Lagos
University Teaching Hospital, Surulere, by sympathisers, while Paul was
arrested by policemen from the Itire division, adding that although the
Directorate of Public Prosecutions ordered that the suspect be tried at
the Lagos State High Court, the case was still pending.
Acid victim
She said, “I dated Paul for four years and I loved him. But the
problem was that he was always beating me. He also embarrassed me in
the public, so I ended the relationship.
“I got another boyfriend and moved on with my life. But Paul
was angry and he attacked me. He got my new boyfriend’s number and
threatened him. He also threatened me. But I didn’t take the threats
seriously.
“Some days later, an unknown number called me and when I picked
it, it was a woman. She said she wanted me to bake cakes for her and I
should come down to Surulere. We agreed to meet at Lawanson bus stop.
“When I got to the bus stop, somebody touched my shoulder from
behind. When I turned around, I saw Paul. He then poured the acid on me
and ran away.”
She added that the matter was reported to the police at the Itire
division, and later transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and
Intelligence Department, Yaba.
The suspect was arraigned by the police at the Ebute-Meta Chief
Magistrate’s Court, where he was admitted to bail. However, the case was
said to have stalled.
She called for justice, saying she wanted the suspect to pay damages and bear the cost of a plastic surgery.
“He has been walking free, while I have been scarred for life. I want
him to pay for this. I need the help of the government and the good
people of Nigeria,” she added.
The Director of the Lagos State Public Advice Centre, Mrs. Tola
Akinsanya, said the agency would revive the case to ensure there was
diligent prosecution of the suspect.
She said, “The woman was allegedly bathed with acid by her
ex-boyfriend on June 3, 2015, and he was arrested and taken to a
magistrate’s court. When the DPP’s advice was released, it ordered that
the case should be transferred to the high court.
“Although we are aware the case has been filed, it has yet to
be assigned to any court since last year. We are working with the Lagos
State Office of the Public Defender to assemble a team of lawyers to
represent her. We must ensure that she gets justice.”
No comments:
Post a Comment