The
President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration has made public the
massive funds recovered from corrupt public office holders.
Abubakar Malami
The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice,
Abubakar Malami (SAN), says the Federal Government has recovered N15
billion and $10.5 million so far in its asset recovery drive.
Malami disclosed this on Thursday in Abuja when the Senate
Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters visited the
ministry on its oversight function to appraise the 2016 budget
performance of the ministry.
Malami said: “Let me put it on record that the Federal Ministry
of Justice has equally significantly recorded success in the recovery
drive as it relates to the looted funds.
“In that regard and direction, over N15 billion has been
recovered by the ministry and $10.5 million was equally recovered in
that direction.”
The minister said that exclusive of the recoveries, the revenue
profile of the ministry as at December 31, 2016, was N12.4 million.
Malami said this was generated from sale of journals, renting of
part of the headquarters building to commercial entities, use of its
conference hall, tender fees and sale of un-serviceable items.
He added that the total expenditure profile of the ministry within
the same period was N3.7 billion, including personnel and non-regular
allowances.
The chief law officer of the country said that the ministry, by
virtue of its mandate, was in a vantage position to articulate and
implement the present administration’s broad policy objectives in four
major priority areas.
Malami said: “The anti-corruption campaign, the recovery of
stolen national assets, the rule of law component of the anti-terrorism
war and the institutionalisation of law and order in all aspects of
national life.”
On Nigeria’s non-membership of the Financial Action Task Force,
Malami explained that it will take the collaboration of both the
executive and the legislature to scale all the hurdles.
No comments:
Post a Comment