Governor
Nasir El-Rufai has said he has no hand in the killing of innocent
Christians in the Southern part of Kaduna by Fulani herdsmen.
Governor Nasir El-Rufai
Kaduna State Governor, Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai, on Tuesday described
those linking him with killings in Southern part of the state as
mischief makers, reports The Nation.
According to El-Rufai, he is neither a religious bigot nor ethnic
jingoist who will organise crisis in his state. The Governor however
called on the Federal Government to provide more funds for the security
agencies to enable them appropriately tackle internal security
challenges.
While speaking when he received the Senate Ad-hoc Committee on
Southern Kaduna Crisis at the Sir Kashim Ibrahim Government House on
Tuesday, the Governor briefed the Senate Committee led by former
Governor of Kano State, Kabir Gaya, and said his government inherited
three main problems of cattle rustling, urban gang called “Shara Suka”
and communal killings.
The Governor had been accused by Apostle Johnson Suleman of shielding Fulani herdsmen who have been murdering innocent citizens
in Southern Kaduna. The Governor was also accused of paying the killer
herdsmen money in order to stop the killings which many criticized him
for as they insisted he should have handed the killers to the police.
He said, “When we came in we met three main problems on ground, cattle rustling, urban gang and communal killings.
“As the chief security officer of the state, we really do not
have control over the security agencies, we have committed so much in
funding security agencies in the state. We have bought bullet proof vest
and vans for security agencies. We have committed N4 billion in support
of security agencies in the state.
“The state government will continue to support the security
agencies in the state even though it is the responsibility of the
federal government.”
He, however, called for additional support for security agencies in the 2017 budget, saying, “there is need for training and retraining of security personnel and the purchase of additional security equipment.”
On the Southern Kaduna killings, the Governor assured the Senate
that he would deploy resources to facilitate the take-off of the
proposed military garrison in the area.
No comments:
Post a Comment