The
identity of the top military officer that sanctioned the misfire that
killed about 52 innocent civilians in Borno has been unveiled.
Lucky Irabor
Barely 24 hours after completing a successful guided tour of
Sambisa forest involving a federal government team, the Bring Back Our
Girls group and selected foreign and local journalists to search for the
missing Chibok girls, the Army said a fighter jet had misfired and shot
some humanitarian aid workers of the International Committee of Red
Cross (ICRC), the Medicines Sans Frontiers and some civilians in Kala
Balge in Borno during an operation.
Lucky Irabor, the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, disclosed this during a press briefing on Tuesday in Maiduguri.
“This morning, we received a report about the gathering of Boko Haram terrorists around Kala Balge area of Maiduguri.
“I coordinated and I directed that the air component of the operation should go and address the problem.
“Unfortunately, the strike was conducted but it turned out that
other civilians were somewhere around the area and they were affected.
“So far, it is a little bit disturbing; death has occurred.
There are casualties, there were deaths and injuries but on the actual
number of casualties, we would get back to you later.
“I am yet to get the number of casualties of civilians killed, but two soldiers were also affected.
“Some humanitarian staff of Medicines Sans Frontiers and some
staff of International Committee of Red Cross (ICRC) were also affected.
“We are sending helicopters to evacuate those that were critically wounded, including our wounded soldiers,” Irabor said.
No comments:
Post a Comment