The
Lagos State Government have on Friday, reacted reports linking it to
the demolition of the Ojodu retail market in the Berger area of the
nation's commercial city.
Gov. Ambode
News made rounds online
yesterday that the Governor Akinwumni Ambode-led Lagos state
government, reportedly embarked on a total demolition of the popular
Ojodu market in the Berger area of the state.
In a statement released on Friday by the Commissioner for Physical
Planning and Urban Development, Wasiu Anifowose, the State Government
debunked the media reports, saying that the allegation was far from the
truth, and described the media reports as figment of imagination of the
authors.
While clarifying the position of the State Government, Anifowose
said it was not the norm of the government to act in such manner, adding
that before any demolition is carried out, all statutory notices were
served.
“As a State Government, we like to categorically deny
involvement in the demolition exercise as alleged in some national
dailies.
“While the reports in one breath claimed that the State
Government was responsible for the demolition, it was also said that it
was in compliance with a court judgment.
“The same report also alleged that an unnamed former Governor
was behind the exercise, while still claiming that the land on which the
retail market was located had been under global acquisition for years.
“Our story is that some of the market women came to my office
yesterday saying that their market was being demolished, and after
finding out from relevant agencies because I have not given any
directive on demolition and having confirmed that our agencies were not
involved, I told the market people that the demolition nerver came from
us.
“We don’t demolish without organising a stakeholder meeting
with the concerned people and we also ensure that we give them enough
notice,” Anifowose said.
He added that the last time the State Government carried out a
demolition exercise was in January when lay-by was being constructed.
“For the avoidance of doubt, the Lagos State Government hereby categorically deny involvement in the demoilition exercise,” Anifowose said.
No comments:
Post a Comment