It
has been revealed that former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan was
disappointed with the conduct of Professor Attahiru Jega following the
brouhaha that took place during the 2015 Presidential election.
Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan
Despite conceding the 2015 presidential election, former president
Goodluck Jonathan was not comfortable with how it was handled by
Attahiru Jega, former chairman of the Independent National Electoral
Commission (INEC), TheCable reports.
This was revealed in a book written by Segun Adeniyi, titled ‘Against the Run of Play’.
The book which detailed some of the controversies that took place
before and during the 2015 Presidential election revealed further that
Jonathan also had a meeting with Jega to express his reservations about
the preparedness of INEC for the exercise, but he insisted that the
election would go ahead.
“I was disappointed by Jega because I still cannot understand
what was propelling him to act the way he did in the weeks preceding the
election,” the former president said.
“As at the first week in February 2015 when about 40 percent of
Nigerians had not collected their PVCs, Jega said INEC was ready to
conduct an election in which millions of people would be
disenfranchised.”
The book added: “Of course, the Americans were encouraging him
to go ahead yet they would never do such a thing in their own country.
How could we have cynically disenfranchised about a third of our
registered voters for no fault of theirs and still call that a credible
election?”
“The interesting thing was that the opposition also supported
the idea of going on with the election that was bound to end in
confusion,” the former president said.
The election was scheduled for February 14, 2015, but the Jonathan
government shifted it by six weeks. The action was greeted by strong
criticism from Nigerians. In the book, Jonathan also defended his
decision to postpone the election, saying it was for security reasons.
“When the military and security chiefs demanded for more time to deal with the insurgency, the reasons were genuine,” he said.
“As at February 2015, it would have been very difficult to vote
in Gombe, Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states. But moment all the arms and
ammunition that had been ordered finally arrived, the military was able
to use them to degrade the capacity of Boko Haram to the level in which
they posed the threat to the election.”
No comments:
Post a Comment