The
search for crude oil in the northern part of Nigeria is set to continue
following the improvement of security in the Boko Haram-infested
region.
Oil exploration in the Chad Basin
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) will resume oil exploration activities in the Chad Basin of the Country.
The projection came on the heels of improved security situation in
the North East of the country which had been devastated by insurgent
upheavals.
Group Managing Director of the Corporation, Dr. Maikanti Kacalla
Baru made this disclosure during a courtesy visit to the Governor of
Borno State, Hon. Kashim Shettima and the Shehu of Borno, Alh (Dr.)
Abubakar Ibn Umar Garbai El-Kanemi, in Maiduguri, on Monday.
“We have been discussing with military authorities in the area
and they have assured us of improved security. Once they give us the
green light, we would resume operations in the area within six weeks,” the GMD, who was represented by the Chief Operating Officer, Gas & Power, Engr. Saidu Mohammed, said.
Dr. Maikanti Baru informed the Governor that NNPC was keen on
increasing its production from 1.9million bpd to 3million bpd as well as
increasing its oil and gas reserves, a target that necessitated
exploring for more oil within and across some of the nation’s inland
basins.
The GMD commended the efforts of President Muhammadu Buhari as well
as the state Governor in the area of peace restoration, reconstruction
and rehabilitation, stressing that as a responsible corporate citizen,
the Corporation was ready to provide support in that regard.
At the Shehu of Borno’s Palace, the GMD sought the fatherly support
of the traditional ruler especially in the area of host community
understanding towards the resumption of oil exploration activities
within the State.
The Corporation also presented relief items to the Shehu for onward
delivery to the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in the state.
Earlier in his remarks, Governor Kashim Shettima said the
insurgency had taken a huge toll on the North East region leading to the
loss of over $9.6bn, with Borno state alone losing $5.6bn. “We need your support in our reconstruction and rehabilitation efforts.
No comments:
Post a Comment