An explanation has been offered for why Nigeria's ambassador-designates are yet to assume official duties in their new posts.
Geoffrey Onyeama
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Tuesday explained why most
Nigerian ambassador-designates were yet to assume duties in their new
posts.
The ministry said all necessary preliminary procedures for their deployment were yet to be completed.
The ministry however said the diplomats would be posted to the country’s various missions abroad by July.
Sola Enikanolaiye, the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, told the
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in New York that the ministry
had started receiving “agreemo”.
‘Agreemo’ is a memorandum from one country to another agreeing to the appointment of an ambassador or envoy.
“There are three groups of ambassadors. The first group, to
which Professor (Tijjani) Bande belongs, has been announced and
professor Bande has resumed here in New York.
“Ambassador Audu Kadiri in Geneva has also resumed. We expect
that Ambassador Bankole Adeoye going to Addis Ababa should resume in the
next couple of days. That’s the very first group.
“The second group of ambassadors, which was drawn largely from the career category, has also been deployed.
“We’ve started to receive ‘agreemo’, which is consent of the
receiving states from some of them. And we expect that in the next
couple of weeks, they should also assume duties.
“What we’re waiting for is the deployment of the non-career;
that has not been concluded; it’s ongoing. We expect that should be
completed also in the next couple of weeks.
“So that, minus or plus, in the next two months, most of our
ambassadors should have assumed (duty) in their various posts abroad.”
The permanent secretary said the financial situation of the
missions had been resolved, adding that more funds from the government
was being disbursed.
“The state of the Nigerian missions abroad has been a major concern to government, particularly in the area of funding.
“But I can announce that the situation is poised to improve
because additional funding has been provided by government and are
currently being disbursed.
“We believe that upon receipt of those funds, they would be able to at least come out of the woods.
“But we need to look into a more sustainable manner of funding
Nigerian missions so that they would not go back into the era of huge
indebtedness from which they are now trying to come out at this time.”
The Federal Government had recalled all the ambassadors appointed
by the previous administration in 2015 and now the country’s foreign
missions are run by ChargĂ© d’Affaires or Counsel-Generals.
No comments:
Post a Comment